Countdown to the end of the year…
Last time I wrote here was yipping about mid-term blues…but as the days become colder and wetter and I keep seeing Fall decorations and Thanksgiving recipes…I realize that in a few short weeks it will be Christmas! YIKES!
I am sure I am not the only who is (mildly) perturbed by this prospect, just as I am sure there are folk who are just down right frantic…there seems so much to do in so little time and I feel like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off! Papers to write, projects to complete, group assignments to be finished, travel plans for Thanksgiving, catching up with the last week’s readings…and the list goes on and on.
I have some exam and stress tips to share:
- Start revising early, the earlier you start the more time you will have to learn harder things, and you will be less inclined to panic. You can also email or ask your lectures questions about things you don’t understand
- Background reading does help, but only if you’ve done it more than a couple days in advance! If you are struggling to just remember the lecture contents.
- If you feel your not remembering anything, chances are you probably aren’t! Find another method to revise, or stop revising until you can concentrate properly again – revising for the sake of revision is a waste of time.
- Reward yourself! Many people feel guilty about going out in exam time, but you can still reward yourself with chocolate, good meals and a trip to the local curry house when you’ve finished a set of exams.
- Get a good night’s sleep, and never revise beyond your standard going to bed hour.
- Always eat well and have good wholesome meals. Pasta is a great choice for exam meals, it will give you lots of energy for your next days work.
- Make sure to keep yourself hydrated during revision time. Dehydration will cause you to lose concentration
- Breakfast and Lunch are important parts of the day still, ensure you have both, and take a good hour break for lunch. A big lunch will help you through the afternoon!
- Don’t waste your mornings in bed! It doesn’t help, you still have to revise stuff!
- If you find things are getting too stressful try and contact your personal tutor.
- Get into a routine the night before an exam, and go to bed at your normal time! Trying to go to bed earlier will end up in you sitting up in bed worrying! Try not to look at any material before the exam the next morning, but if you forget something have a quick look just in case it comes up!
- Keep your revision area clean and tidy, and ensure that your house or wherever you work is a nice warm working temperature, if it is too cold you are not likely to want to even get out of bed no bet revise efficiently!
- Stock up with food before exam season starts, so you don’t have to do frequent supermarket trips
- Make sure there is nothing on your mind, such as job applications or interviews while you are revising.
- Finally relieve your stress by relaxing after you have finished revision for the day, doing something you enjoy doing, like watch television or playing computer games or having a run, or doing some yoga.